The Home of Farnham U3A
Farnham Maltings (Bridge Square, Farnham, Surrey, GU9 7QR) is home to the majority of Farnham U3A activities.
Situated on the bank of the River Wey, its fine 18th century buildings afford an elegant ambience steeped in local history.
History of Farnham Maltings
The earliest surviving document relating to the Maltings is dated 1729, but there is evidence of two previous owners. Originally it was a tanyard. In 1830 Robert Sampson set up as a maltster in the then separate East Wing. He was succeeded in business by his son, Sampson Sampson, whose sign can still be seen on the end of his cottage at 18 Bridge Square.
Farnham was once well known for hop growing for use in the brewing process, and the tanyard was sold to John Barrett, who converted it into a brewery where barley was malted when Prince Albert first brought the army to Aldershot in the 1850’s.
When the building eventually fell into disuse it stood empty for twelve years before being saved by public subscription in 1969 and converted into an arts and community centre.